Yes, jobs are tough to find, especially now. We see hundreds of people waiting in lines for only an opportunity to see company representatives at job fairs on the news. The percentage of unemployed people in every state is creeping higher. Yet, the market isn't completely dry. Prepare for fierce competition, but here are a few openings around the country:
Here's just a sample from the Public Relations Society of America Job Center:
American Water Company External Affairs/Government Affairs Manager OH
Ohio American Water has an opening in Marion, OH for an External Affairs Manager to provide senior-level communications counsel to the state president and senior management team and to develop, coordinate, implement and manage all external communications and government affairs activities to support the success of the state business plan and operating objectives.
Red Bull North America Media Relations Specialist CA, IL, GA
The Regional Communications Specialist (RCS) will assist the Regional Communications Manager (RCM) in strategically positioning Red Bull’s editorial communication of all marketing activity across all appropriate media channels across a Business Unit (BU) including print, television, radio and internet. The RCS will assist in generating media coverage for select Red Bull events, projects, teams and athletes in the BU – maximizing the impact of these initiatives via high profile and strategically placed media content.
Tipton Communications Public Relations Specialist/Writer Newark, DE
Coordinate and implement the day-to-day public relations efforts, develop marketing communications programs, support employee communications efforts and serve as the front-line representative to the media.
* Develop press materials on behalf of clients.
* Conduct media contact and follow-up, secure placements and coordinate media coverage and interviews.
* Develop marketing communications plans for clients.
* Develop a thorough understanding of the client’s business and industry.
* Develop strong working relationships with client peers and managers.
* Attend client meetings and prepare client reports.
* Develop and present plans as necessary.
* Supervise the development and maintenance of project schedules and status reports.
* Regularly update supervisors on the account, client requests, upcoming projects, status, etc.
* Manage the development and updating of media lists.
* Manage all press release distribution.
* Keep track of media placements for compilation, assembly and presentation to clients.
New York State Nurses Association Assistant Director, Communications NY
Edit and write articles for member newsletter. Prepare fliers and brochures for production and coordinate with art department. Conduct media relations activities, including issuing press releases and maintaining press contacts. Improve and expand department's social media capabilities.
From O’Dwyer’s Public Relations News
LaCrosse Footwear, Inc. Public Relations Manager Portland, Oregon
LaCrosse Footwear, Inc. (Nasdaq: BOOT) is a leading developer and marketer of branded, premium and innovative footwear for expert users at work and in the outdoors.
Responsible for planning, development, implementation and tracking of public relations and communications activities for the Danner and LaCrosse brands, and for the LaCrosse Footwear, Inc. holding company.
The essential functions of the position include:
· Brand & Product Public Relations: Planning and execution of brand and product-related public relations programs targeting consumer publications and media outlets to support LaCrosse & Danner brand and business initiatives. Primary goal of public relations activities will be top stories, product placement, field tests, reviews and new product introductions in publications reaching each brand’s target customers.
* Manage all media contacts and serve as media liaison. Identify key media targets and actively pitch top stories to support brand and business initiatives. Develop talking points and other materials for management and staff as needed to handle media interviews. Educate and train staff on media relations skills, and assist with interviews. Serve as spokesperson when appropriate.
* Manage all elements of media relations programs, including developing and maintaining media contact lists; writing press releases and creating media kits; coordinating mailings; shipping samples; tracking and organizing media clips; reporting media activity and placements internally and externally on a monthly basis. Coordinate media relations activities related to trade show appearance for Danner and LaCrosse brands and serve as on-site media relations contact.
* Trade Public Relations: Development and execution of public relations activities targeting trade audiences, including retail dealers, vendors and competitors in the sporting, occupational, uniform and footwear/apparel markets. Primary goals of activities will be editorial placements about new products and product lines; company activities and developments; and other activities in support of corporate goals.